Collage Dance Festival, Detroit’s newest dance festival, is proudly hosted by DDCdances, Detroit’s longest running professional dance company. Collage Dance Festival is an adjudicated movement celebration at Detroit’s Boll Theater, honoring exemplary contemporary dance works from across the nation.
CDF offers three days of uniquely curated stage productions of professional, pre-professional and youth choreographic works, a full day of master classes, lectures and discussion panels led by industry leaders, and a Detroit Youth Concert. CDF is the only professional showcase in Detroit to offer outstanding pre-professionals the opportunity to perform alongside industry professionals in festival stage shows!
Application for choreographic submissions goes live November 7th, 2022! The application fee will act as the choreographer’s production fee - no other fees will be required of choreographers or performers. Artists will receive free promotional and media materials, as well as a professional video of the stage production. All choreographic works are welcome - Apply November 7th!
CALL FOR CHOREOGRAPHERS - All individual artists or collectives are welcomed and encouraged to submit their work. You do not need to be a formal organization to be considered. Application for choreographic submissions goes live November 7th, 2022! Works choreographed and performed by dancers 18+ are adjudicated for the professional stage shows on Friday and Saturday, May 19 & 20. Pre-professional and youth companies are encouraged to submit applications for the CDF Youth Concert on Sunday, May 21. Exemplary pre-professional and youth submissions may be chosen to perform in the professional shows on Friday or Saturday, May 19 or 20.
Applicants will be notified of their acceptance in February 2023. Accepted applications will be given a show date and tech rehearsal time on the day of the production. Professional works can request to receive feedback from the adjudication board. All pre-professional and youth submissions will receive a detailed feedback report from the adjudication board.
All submissions must have paid the application fee to be considered. Choreographers may submit as many works as they like. Each work submitted for consideration requires a separate application fee. Works submitted without a paid application fee will not be considered.
Duration of work:
• Length of Professional works should be no more than 7 minutes for solos and 12 minutes for groups
• Length of Pre-professional & Youth Company pieces should be no more than 6:00 minutes.
Video of work:
• If the work has been previously staged, please send clear, high quality video. Outdoor or studio showings are also acceptable.
• Videos should be submitted as a YouTube or Vimeo link .
• Include any passwords needed to gain access to the video.
• Promotional cut videos are not acceptable.
Important Submission Deadline Dates & Fees
Call for Choreographers for Professional Concerts
• Early Bird Submission $25/ work: Deadline has past
• Regular Submission $35/ work: by January 31 , 2023
• Late Submissions $40/ work: by February 15, 2023
Call for Choreographers for Youth Concerts
• Submission $40/work - by January 31, 2023
Notice of Acceptance: February, 2023
• Friday May 19 - Professional Concert @ 7:30pm; tech during the day
• Saturday May 20 - Professional Concert @7:30pm; tech during the day
• Saturday May 20 - Master Class series & lectures and discussion panels
• Sunday, May 21 – Youth Concert @ 2:00 pm; tech prior to concert
Specific times for tech, master classes, and other event plans will be determined.